Friday, May 7, 2010

The Last Day of the Last Year

I walk through the halls alone, empty inside.
It’s as if I’m not even here anymore, distantly surveying what once was.
An empty void aching deep within me is my only existence.
Silence surrounds me, threatening to tear me apart.
I want to scream but only silent tears escape me.
My heart breaks as I reach the locker I once counted as my own.
It belongs to someone else now.
As I sit in this desk, I see myself fading from its existence
This is the last time.
Familiar faces flash before me.
Teachers…no. Friends. Classmates…again, no. Family.
The deepest hurt is leaving my family behind.
Hugging my sisters, knowing this is the last time we’ll probably ever all be together.
Leaving a home.
Twelve years of love over in the blink of an eye.
The bell rings, signaling the end.
So many have gone before me
And now it’s my turn to say goodbye

No comments: